15-MINUTE AUSSIE CHRISTMAS RECIPESPosted on October 20, 2016
Christmas in Australia presents its unique challenges in the culinary department… whilst commercial traditional call for robust roast meats by the fire, our warm climate demands more refreshing cold meats, crisp salads and fresh seafood…
Working with what we’ve got, below is a list of typically Aussie Christmas recipe ideas to guarantee this year’s Christmas lunch, dinner or dessert are memorable for all the right reasons!
AUSSIE CHRISTMAS STARTER
Everyone’s favourite chef, Jamie Oliver suggests a quick and easy recipe for a contemporary prawn cocktail, featured below, which can be completed in 15 minutes!
1) Heat glug of oil in a pan over a high heat. Crush and add the garlic, then stir in 1 pinch of cayenne pepper and the tiger prawns (you can butterfly them first if you like).
2) Toss the prawns for 3 to 4 minutes, or till cooked through. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3) For the Marie rose sauce: mix half a lemon’s juice with a swig of brandy, pinch of cayenne pepper, teaspoon of ketchup and 4 tablespoons mayonnaise in a bowl and set aside.
4) Shred the lettuce, dice the cucumber, thinly slice the tomato and pick the mint leaves, then layer in bowls or jars. Snip in most of the cress.
5) Add the peeled prawns, dollop with marie rose sauce and finish with crabmeat, shrimps (if using) and more cress.
6) Add a pinch of cayenne pepper and hang a hot prawn or two off the side of the bowl or jar. Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over
AUSSIE CHRISTMAS MAIN
Forget about the traditional roast turkey, and throw a whole fish on the BBQ – ready in only 15 minutes!
BBQ A Whole Fish, with a twist!
1) Line a large sheet of alfoil with baking paper.
2) Spread thin layer of orange marmalade over an area to contain the fish and top with 2-3 slices of lemon.
3) Lay fish on top of the lemon slices.
4) Top with another layer of marmalade and 2-3 more slices of lemon.
5) Place remaining lemon slices in the fish cavity.
6) Seal baking paper and then foil into a parcel and barbeque on a medium heat for approximately 15 minutes, turning half way through.
7) Feel regularly with tongs and check when the fish starts to feel soft on both sides. Cooking time will vary depending on the size and thickness of the fish, so check after ten minutes.
8) Serve sprinkled with parsley, steamed potatoes and a salad.
+ Light Side of Potato Salad
1) Boil potatoes for around 10 minutes (or until just cooked)
2) Drain and place in freezer for 10 minutes to cool down
3) Cook bacon in frying pan until crispy
4) Take cooled potatoes; mix in mayonnaise, sour cream, bacon and spring onion.
AUSSIE CHRISTMAS DESSERT
(First make jelly and leave to set overnight)
1) Cut set jelly in to 3cm cubes
2) Place thickened cream into a bowl and whip until very thick
3) Beat in icing sugar and vanilla essence
4) Cut a jam-roll into 2cm thick slice and layer inside of large glass bowl
5) Cover with liqueur of your choice
6) Allow to soak for 10 minutes, then cover with berries
7) Dollop berries with your cream and custard
8) Add jelly on top and then repeat process with cream and custard
Christmasallyear.com.au is an on-line shop that aims to be a category killer on both price and quality.
Westminster Christmas also has a retail store at Shop 1, 610 Canterbury Road, Vermont, Victoria, 3133. This store is open July to December and may be contacted on (03) 9872 6455.
The head office and warehouse of Westminster Christmas Pty. Ltd. is located at Factory 6, Brock Industrial Drive, 1 Melba Avenue, Lilydale, Vic, 3140
- The 3 Men Who Shaped Santa Claus
- Saint Nicholas & The (Brief) History of Santa
- 15-MINUTE AUSSIE CHRISTMAS RECIPES
- The Origins of Christmas Trees, Mistletoe & Candy Canes
- Top 5 Christmas Movies of All Time
- Christmas Cards
- Christmas Dinner
- Christmas Gifts
- Christmas in July
- Christmas Lights
- Christmas Trees
- Xmas Cards
- Xmas Gifts
- Xmas in July
- Xmas Lights
- Xmas Trees